- Reduced RA symptoms – Biological DMARDs are effective in improving disease activity which leads to symptom reduction: less pain, less joint damage, and better overall health
- Radical change of patient experience – bDMARDs are significantly more effective at reducing DAS28 to <2.6 compared with cDMARDS, drastically improving
- Slowed disease progression – Treatment with bDMARDs does not only lead to symptom reduction but also better disease control, showing less progression of joint damage
- Improved Quality of Life – Patients are more mobile and less affected by the symptoms of their disease, causing an improved Quality of Life (QoL)
- Preventable resource use – More effective disease management due to bDMARD treatment, as well as reduction in resource utilisation.
- Economic gains – bDMARD use results in reduced absenteeism and presenteeism in EU27 RA patients, resulting in increased productivity
- Enjoying life again – Because patients are less troubled by their disease, they can enjoy time with their family and friends again
Pre 1998, a third of Rheumatoid Arthritis patients didn’t have access to an effective treatment. A condition which mostly affects adults – and is twice as common in women – it can have a devastating effect on people’ lives, causing painful inflammation of the joints.
The introduction of a new biologics – bDMARDS – treatment in 1998 has given patients hope: One year on from treatment, 75% of patients showed no sign of disease progression.
For people, it means less pain, less joint damage, and better overall health.
44% of women also reported an improvement in quality of life, with a higher number – 64%- for men.
These are mothers, fathers, and grandparents who have a second chance to spend time with friends and families or get back to work, pain free.
But we know that more can be done – there is still a huge unmet need among these patients. We won’t rest until that figure is 100 per cent. This is what our scientists strive for.